Once you choose the ultimate duvet cover, sheets, and blankets to make a luxurious bedding ensemble, it is time to select the final piece – the complementary bed skirt. The right bed skirt will truly add that finishing touch and complete and enhance the overall aesthetic of your bedroom.
A bed skirt can shape the design elements of any space. It can add a tailored finish for a more contemporary look, a feminine touch with a ruffled hem, a relaxed and casual look, or a coordinating pattern that adds to the curated design of the bedding.
Tips on How to Use a Bed Skirt
If you’re not familiar with using a luxury bed skirt, sometimes referred to as a dust ruffle, you will find that this luxury accessory not only adds a design element to your room, but it also has many other helpful uses.
Wondering how to use a bed skirt or if a bed skirt is right for your bed? The answer is simple: If you have a traditional mattress and box spring set – you are all set. The bed skirt is easily placed between your mattress and box spring and can be adjusted to the height of your bed.
Here are some tips on how to use a bed skirt in your home from the luxury linen experts at Peacock Alley.
Why to Use a Bed Skirt (Dust Ruffle) in Your Bedroom
- Design – Bed skirts are made to complement your bedding ensemble and add a design-inspired element to your space.
- No Dust – Bed skirts are not only pretty, but they have a job to do as well: they actually keep dust from collecting under your bed (hence the term dust ruffle).
- Clever Cover Up – A designer bed skirt can conceal unsightly box springs and bed legs, and instead add a splash of color or unique print to your space.
- Savvy Storage Solution – A decorative bed skirt not only enhances your bedroom décor, but is a smart way to hide things we keep under our beds like electrical cords, suitcases, bed frames, storage boxes, and other items.
How to Put on a Bed Skirt – Easy Tips to Make Your Bed Look Beautiful and Finished
The proper use of our luxury bed skirts starts with ensuring you have the correct size. We offer bed skirts in all sizes ranging from twin to California king. Dust ruffles typically have a 15” drop to the floor and these measurements:
- Twin - 39” x 75”
- Full - 54” x 75
- Queen - 60” x 80”
- King - 78” x 80”
- California King - 72” x 84”
*Note that Peacock Alley’s bed skirts are designed to allow for a generous 22” drop.
Luxury bed skirts like the ones available from Peacock Alley are designed to attach a little differently than more affordable brands that are made using a single piece of fabric, like an oversized sheet. Our bed skirts come in 3 panels – two for the sides of the bed and one for the foot – so the dust ruffle can be attached to the box spring with L-shaped pins (included) that are customized to fit any bed. This means no more struggling with the mattress and it can easily be installed by one person.
Once you have the correct size for your bed, proper placement of a designer bed skirt is really quite simple using these step-by-step instructions from the linen pros at Peacock Alley.
How to Put on a Bed Skirt
- Press – Ironing may be necessary to remove any wrinkles, and is recommended, to add a crisp, finished look to your bedding.
- Aligning the Bed Skirt – The first step is to line up the panels with the proper side of the bed. Begin with laying the shortest bed skirt panel at the foot of the bed. Then lay one of each of the longer panels along each side of the bed. Starting with the end of the bed, simply tuck the top of the panel in-between the mattress and box spring little by little. This allows you to make necessary adjustments according to your bed height.
- Make Adjustments – Ensure that your luxury bed skirt is hanging evenly around the entire bed and make any adjustments at this time. You will want to check the length of the drop as well as ensure the ends are meeting in the correct places. It may be necessary to adjust the folds of a pleated dust ruffle or fluff a ruffled bed skirt to get the look exactly right.
- Insert Included Pins – Once you have it lined up and hanging evenly, affix the panel to the corner edge of the box spring using the included pins. Use pins every 12 inches (you should only need about 3 for the end panel). The pins will simply tuck right into the top of the box spring and should lie flat and out of sight. Next apply the first side panel, taking care to match the length to the floor and the corner. Repeat until all panels are attached and pins are secure.
Now, you can finish making your bed, complete with your favorite luxury bedding. Sit back and enjoy this design-inspired look that brings an elegant touch of style to your space.
How to Keep a Bed Skirt in Place
While we love the look and feel a high-end bed skirt brings to a bedroom, the key to enjoying your new dust ruffle is to ensure it is secured in place so that it is properly aligned for the best look possible.
Here are some tricks on how to keep a bed skirt in place using some specialty items as well as some things that you probably have around the house.
Tips on How to Keep a Bed Skirt Properly Aligned
- Bed Skirt Pins – Bed skirt pins are specifically designed to keep your paneled bed skirt perfectly in place and are included with the purchase of all dust ruffles from Peacock Alley. These pins do an excellent job of keeping the skirt exactly where you want it and allow for easy adjustments.
- Velcro – Velcro tape is a great solution for those who have a platform bed or no box spring. Simply cut the tape into small pieces to properly secure the bed skirt. The Velcro tape also allows for easy removal for laundering, which is very convenient.
- Non-Slip Pads – If you are using a bed skirt that is designed like a bedsheet to drape over the edge of your bed, non-slip grip pads like the ones used to keep rugs in place can help. Simply cut a 1-foot section for the center and each corner of the box spring. Once your bed skirt is positioned correctly on the box spring, the pads will help keep it properly aligned. This is also a nice option to try with beds that do not use a box spring.
Luxurious Bed Skirts to Complement Any Design from Peacock Alley
Fine details like adding the perfect bed skirt to complement your bedding, will give a designer look and feel to your bedroom. To help you choose the perfect one, the fine linen experts at Peacock Alley have created a useful guide to assist you in creating the perfect bedding ensemble with a coordinated bed skirt.
Whether you are looking for clean and bright luxury white bed skirts to complete your light bedding or the ideal queen bed skirt for your guest room – Peacock Alley has the bed skirts (dust ruffles) you’re looking for to enhance your bedroom décor.